Baker Football Moves up to No. 18 In NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll
Football – Mon, Nov. 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM
BALDWIN CITY, Kan. – Coming off five straight wins, the Baker football team moves up two spots to No. 18 in the most recent NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll.
On Saturday, the Wildcats had an impressive victory over Central Methodist, 41-14. The offense was led by JD Woods, who rushed for 176 yards and scored three times. Woods performance earned himself Heart of America Offensive Player of the Week honor and pushed the Wildcats record to 7-2.
The ‘Cats are now 3-0 in Heart South competition and are tied for first place with No. 9 Evangel for the division lead.
The Wildcats have been on a great run after starting the season 2-2. With impressive play on both sides on of the ball, the team ranks amongst the top of the NAIA in multiple categories including, sixth in total scoring offense, seventh in rushing offense and ninth in scoring defense per game.
Individual standouts include, Sophomore receiver Sam Huckabee, who ranks fifth in the NAIA in receiving yards. Running back Nigil Graves-Houston, ranks fourth in scoring per game and Linebacker Sam Skwarlo ranks 19th in tackles per game with 9.9.
Around the Heart of America, Grand View remains at No.4, Evangel remains at No. 9 and Benedictine moves up one to No. 12.
The Wildcats will be back in action against No. 12 Benedictine, Saturday, November 9th at 1:00 p.m. inside Liston Stadium.
To view entire poll, CLICK HERE
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- No. 1 Morningside received all 17 first-place votes this week. The Mustangs post a current record of 8-0 overall and 7-0 in the Great Plains Athletic Conference.
- Morningside has remained in the No. 1 spot for the past 16 polls dating back to October 1st 2018.
- Indiana Wesleyan joined the poll as the lone newcomer after defeating then-No.14 Siena Heights (Mich.) 28-21.
- Saint Francis (Ind.) moved positively three spots to No. 13. Head coach, Kevin Donley collected his 332nd career win on Saturday when the Cougars defeated Lawrence Tech 59-20.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55) Morningside (37), Georgetown (Ky.) (25) and Marian (23).
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 158-straight Top 25 mentions.
Published at Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:00:00 +0000